Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I need to change the transmission fluid on my '89 Pontiac Sunbird SE.?

I have been told there may or may not be a plug underneath the transmission that I can simply remove to drain. Does anyone know if this model car has a plug, or if I have to remove the transmission oil pan? If I have to remove the oil pan, how do I recognize it and how is this done? Should the engine be off when I drain the fluid? Any help would be greatly appreciated.I need to change the transmission fluid on my %26039;89 Pontiac Sunbird SE.?
Is this an automatic or standard tranny?I need to change the transmission fluid on my %26039;89 Pontiac Sunbird SE.?
The engine has to be off and if you decide to change the tranny fluid you should pull the pan anyway and change out the filter as well. The pan is directly under the vehicle close to the oil pan it is not as deep as the oil pan either. Before you start the car back up make sure and put in a few quarts of tranny fluid then start the car in neutral and check the fluid several times to get the level right. After you have done that put the car in gear forward until you feel it engage and then reverse, after doing this check the fluid again and top it off. Drive the car a few miles and check one last time. A few tips are do not over tighten the pan bolts it will cause a leak NEVER run the car without tranny fluid in the tranny. And be sure you don't get any trash inside the tranny one peice of dirt can toast the tranny quick. One more thing if the tranny is working right don't change the fluid leave it alone. On older cars changing the fluid can release some of the debris in the tranny and cause it to go out really fast. It sounds bad but if it ain't broke don't fix it....Good LuckI need to change the transmission fluid on my %26039;89 Pontiac Sunbird SE.?
you will have to drop the pan. its better that way because you can change your filter too. the difference is the oil pan is the one closer to the front of the engine and will have a plug.But you can go to the part store and they have a hting with a hose on it you can put in where your dip stick is and drain the fluid out that way. but its best to change the filter too.I need to change the transmission fluid on my %26039;89 Pontiac Sunbird SE.?
if its motor oil yes, you need to drop the pan to really clean it. better yet. have it towed to a tranmission shop so they can do a power flush. might cost a little bit but its worth it. i would also recomend changing the trans filter while you are at it. you can get a trans filter and gasket set for roughly 15 to 17 bucks from www.autozone.com good luck.I need to change the transmission fluid on my %26039;89 Pontiac Sunbird SE.?
You have not started it..GOOD. Now drop the pan, change the fluid. DO NOT START IT until you have changed the fluid and filter or you will send the oil into the converter and now, yes, you are talking power flush and not change.

Good Luck

PS No one is perfect..We all make mistakes,,glad you had the presence of mind not to start it.